Winter is coming, and I want to be ready. I’m trying for the most energy efficient, rodent deficient winter thus far. Seeing that we live in a 115 year old house, this can be quite the challenge.
So today I googled and found a great preparation list from About.com. However, as I looked over the list I had a cheesy thought, “Am I ready for a spiritual winter?” I would probably have to admit that I’ve been experiencing a spiritual winter, and that the buds are just beginning to open again. In some ways I was more than ready, in others I fell far short.
So here is a list for your spiritual winterization.
- Furnace inspection – In our spiritual walk we must make sure that we keep our love temperature on hot. We need to ensure that our duct work is free from debris so that when we are dispensing the love of God it isn’t polluted with junk. Lastly, we need to pay attention to our filter so that nothing coming in will cause a problem with what goes out.
- Get the fireplace ready – There is nothing more welcoming than a roaring fire in the fireplace, but if the chimney and the hearth aren’t prepared, you can burn down your whole house! First of all, you need to make sure that you cap the chimney so that no creatures can come in your house. Whenever we make ourselves vulnerable and dispense the love and Word of God out, we have opened ourselves up to an opportunity to be invaded by the “enemy”, but if we guard our hearts with all diligence and keep a watch at the door of our lips then we can ensure that these critters won’t creep in. Next, we have to have a supply of “seasoned” wood for fuel. When we are attending a church with a wise pastor who is preparing spiritual food for our growth, it is like having seasoned wood for our fire. We are able to heat and light our spiritual life with the seasoned Word of God.
- Inspect your windows and doors. Look at the points at which you are most vulnerable and check for cracks and cold air seeping in. Cracks and crevices allow cold air to creep in and then we spend needless time and energy trying to keep our love walk strong and healthy.
- Inspect roof. Make sure your covering is in place. The helmet of salvation. God has promised to shelter us.
- Check your foundation. All too often we don’t go over what our Christianity is built on in the first place. “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus Christ my righteousness…On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.” We can not build our foundation on any other. “All other ground is sinking sand.” Are you hoping in your own ability? Are you trusting in the economy, the government or a loved one? Check your foundation. Make sure it is firmly in place, that there are no cracks.
- Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Sometimes we can flirt with spiritual death. Other times we play with things that are invisible but can kill our spirits none the less. Make sure that you have people in your life who are able to correct you and lead you in the right direction when you have gone astray. Sometime we can’t see the things that are harming us, but others can.
Is your heart ready for winter? Are you prepared for the coming season? I can’t stand this anymore…way too hokey for me…hehe.